The Best Truck for Towing a Fifth Wheel Trailer
- 1 The Best Truck for Towing a Fifth Wheel Trailer
- 2 Short vs. Long Beds
- 3 Gas vs. Diesel Engines
- 4 Payload
- 5 The Best 5thWheel Trucks
- 6 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD with Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo-Diesel
- 7 2018 Ford F-350 Super Duty
- 8 2018 Ram 3500 with 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel I-6
- 9 2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD with 6.6L Duramax Diesel
- 10 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD with Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo-Diesel
- 11 Is it possible to tow a fifth wheel?
- 12 Can you tow a fifth wheel trailer with a short bed truck?
- 13 Can you pull a fifth wheel with a half-ton truck?
- 14 What is the best 12 ton truck for towing?
- 15 Can you increase a vehicle’s carrying capacity?
- 16 What vehicle can tow 10,000 lbs?
- 17 What vehicles can pull 7000 lbs?
For many, that dream vacation is a trip across the country, driving on the open road. But it does not need to lack for comfort. Before you hit the road, knowing what truck to buy for towing your fifth-wheeler is important. Here are a few things to consider when getting the proper truck and a list of the best one available for towing your fifth-wheel.
What to Consider
Short vs. Long Beds
Because more people are looking for comfort inside the cab of a truck, the beds have become shorter and shorter. Ideally, you want a standard 8-foot bed to make sure there is enough room for the hitch. An 8-foot bed can handle a fixed hitch, while shorter beds will need a sliding hitch with or without sidewinder. A good rule of thumb is the shorter the truck bed, the more expensive the hitch setup you will need.
Gas vs. Diesel Engines
Gas engines are cheaper but diesel ones will pay off in the long run. Diesel engines last longer, have better fuel economy and have more towing power and torque. If you are planning on owning the truck for a while, diesel is the way to go.
>> You may also like Gas vs Diesel For Towing a Fifth Wheel?<<
Payload capacities increase with the weight of the truck. If your fifth-wheel is larger, you will need a heavier truck. A 1-ton truck will handle just about anything, but some fifth-wheels will be fine with a ton truck. Check the specifications of your fifth-wheel to make sure the truck you buy can handle it.
The Best 5thWheel Trucks
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD with Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo-Diesel
This truck has a maximum fifth-wheel towing capacity of 23,300 lbs and has its own fifth-wheel towing package available from the dealer.
Video Overview: 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4WD Black Roy Nichols Motors Courtice ON
2018 Ford F-350 Super Duty
The fifth-wheel towing capacity of this truck makes it stand out, with a maximum 27,500 lb. rating. It also comes equipped with an exclusive Trailer Reverse Guidance system that allows you to see the truck and fifth-wheel from all angles. This makes getting it in the right place a breeze.
Video Overview: New 2018 Ford F-350 Platinum Super Duty – Elk River, Coon Rapids, Mpls, St Paul, St Cloud, MN
2018 Ram 3500 with 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel I-6
This truck has the highest towing capacity there is, listed at a whopping 30,000 lb. maximum. It also comes available with a factory-installed fifth-wheel hitch.
Video Overview: Dodge Ram 3500 1200HP Daily Driver 6.7L Cummins Diesel
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD with 6.6L Duramax Diesel
This is a good middle-of-the-road choice with a maximum fifth-wheel towing capacity of 23,300 lbs. It also comes with its own fifth-wheel towing package.
Video Overview: 2018 Sierra HD: Capability Overview | GMC
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD with Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo-Diesel
This truck is one of the best tons out there for towing and comes in a little cheaper than its 3500HD counterpart. Its maximum towing capacity is 18,100 lbs., has a full-length bed, and can be equipped with a dealer-installed fifth-wheel hitch.
Video Overview: 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 (Midnight Edition) – Review
Is it possible to tow a fifth wheel?
Can you tow a fifth wheel trailer with a short bed truck?
Can you pull a fifth wheel with a half-ton truck?
It is possible to tow successfully with a half-ton bed track, but when using it, you have to equip it with 1500s Ram carefully. Remember not to exceed, GVWR, tire capacity of the tow truck or the gross combined weight rating (GCWR). But be sure to follow the truck owner’s manual.
>> You may also like: Should I Tow A Car Behind My RV?<<
What is the best 12 ton truck for towing?
The best ton trucks for towing include the following:
1. 2018 Honda Ridgeline with maximum towing of 5000 lbs
2. 2018 Nissan Frontier has a maximum of 6710 lbs
3. Toyota Takoma with maximum towing of 6800 lbs
4. 2018 Chevrolet Colorado has a maximum towing of7700 lbs
5. 2018 GMC Canyon (tie) with maximum towing capacity 7700 lbs
6. 2018 Nissan Titan with maximum towing of 9740 lbs
7. 2018 Toyota Tundra with maximum towing of 10500 lbs
8. 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (tie) having a maximum towing capacity of 12500 lbs
9. 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 (tie), maximum towing 12500 lbs
10. 2019 Ram 1500 with a maximum towing capacity of 12750 lbs
11. 2018 ford F-150 with maximum towing of 13200 lbs
Can you increase a vehicle’s carrying capacity?
As long as the needed payload does not exceed GVWR, a hitch can improve your hitch load limit, but this does not increase the vehicle’s towing capacity.
What vehicle can tow 10,000 lbs?
They are many types of vehicles which can tow 10,000 lbs, and they include the following:
2018 Toyota Tundra with maximum towing of 10500 lbs
2019 Ram 1500 with the maximum towing capacity of 12750 lbs
2018 GMC Sierra 1500 (tie), maximum towing 12500 lbs
2019 Ram 1500 with the maximum towing capacity of 12750 lbs
2018 ford F-150 with maximum towing of 13200 lbs
What vehicles can pull 7000 lbs?
They include :
1. 2018 Chevrolet Colorado has a maximum towing of7700 lbs
2. 2018 GMC Canyon (tie) with maximum towing capacity 7700 lbs
3. 2018 Nissan Titan with maximum towing of 9740 lbs
Related Post: 45 RV Accessory Must-Haves for Your Travel Trailer