What is the average travel trailer height?
The width of a travel trailer may vary but their usual height is 13 feet. But just because it is supposed to be 13 feet does not mean it is, mainly because of the a/cs on top. You need to measure it and confirm if this is the height.
Most people never consider the height added by equipment, a/c, and other safety equipment. Then you either get fined or you hit a small bridge. This is an important issue because different states have different regulations on the max height of vehicles. This is because of clearance problems for most low bridges, small tunnels, etc. have included a list of the regulated height for vehicles and arranged them by state. The list is at the end of the article.
What is the ideal height of an RV?
The short answer is under 9 feet. The reason is that you will often be using your RV to enter business establishments. Whether it be a drive-through at Wendys or a bank. Most of these businesses have an armbar built over the entrance and it is at 9 feet. Anything above 9 feet will give you a hard time entering parking garages, car washes also most drive-throughs will also be inaccessible for you. So do not exceed 9 feet.
>> You may also like:45 RV Accessory Must-Haves for Your Travel Trailer<<
What about the height of the hitch? (commonly referred to a trailer tongue)
The hitch’s height should be 18 inches. Most trailers will be level at this height and ride smoothly, but just in case you may want to measure what height your trailer is sitting and compare it to the height of the hitch. If it is not level then visit a mechanic to fix it.
Video Overview: RV Travel Trailer towing. Taller truck shorter Hitch
How tall can an RV be? Regulated Height per state.
- Alabama-height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Alaska- height 15 feet.
- Arizona- height 13 feet 6 inches
- Arkansas height 13 feet 6 inches.
- California- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Colorado- height 14 feet 6 inches.
- Connecticut-: height 13 feet 6 inches
- Delaware- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- District of Columbia- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Florida- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Georgia- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Hawaii- height 14 feet.
- Idaho- height 14 feet.
- Illinois- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Indiana- height 13 feet 6 inches
- Iowa- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Kanasa- height 14 feet.
- Kentucky- height 13 feet 6 inches
- Louisiana- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Maine- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Maryland- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Massachusetts- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Michigan- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Minnesota- height 13 feet 6 inches
- Mississippi- height 13 feet 6 inches
- Missouri- height 13 feet 6 inches
- Montana- height 14 feet
- Nebraska- height 14 feet 6 inches.
- Nevada- height 14 feet.
- New Hampshire- height 13 feet 6 inches
- New Jersey- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- New Mexico- height 14 feet.
- New York- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- North Carolina- height 13 feet 6 inches
- North Dakota- height 14 feet.
- Ohio- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Oklahoma- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Oregon- height 14 feet.
- Pennsylvania- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Rhode Island- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- South Carolina- height 13 feet 6 inches
- South Dakota- height 14 feet.
- Tennessee- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Texas- height 14 feet.
- Utah- height 14 feet.
- Vermont- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Virginia- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Washington- height 14 feet.
- West Virginia- height 13 feet 6 inches.
- Wisconsin- height 13 feet 6 inches
- Wyoming- height 14 feet.
- Puerto Rico- height 13 feet, 6 inches.
You may also like: First Time Travel Trailer Owner Tips, Beginner’s Guide. <<
How Tall is a Travel Trailer with AC?
Tall travel trailer with AC tends to have a height equal to class C have ranged around 11 feet. Size tends to vary depending on a class. Class A RVs and those with fifth wheels tend to be huger and taller, their height ranging over 13 feet. Most class C RVs are between 11-12feet, and class B tends to be the smallest, with measurements of around 9-10 feet.
How Tall Can Your Trailer be?
Stale laws for different places differ; many states have exceptions concerning height limits depending on the type of roads they can allow for either short or tall trailers. There is a standard that a camper trailer cannot exceed 13.6 feet. There are travel trailers with 12-foot high roofs, but they are rare; others are way shorter than 10-11 feet.
What is the Best Length for a Travel Trailer?
Depending on the RV class, there exists different lengths and style for each category. Researchers discovered that travel trailers range between 20-40, but 30 feet is the average length to fit into a campground. The most standard motorhome length for the trailers’ different classes is Class A 33 feet, class B 20 feet, and class C 28 feet.
You may also like: 25 Best National Parks in the USA <<
How To Build RV Carport:
Does RV Height include an AC Unit?
Knowing the details about your RVs height is crucial because driving a too elevated RV can be dangerous and illegal. Different state laws advocate for different RV heights depending on their roads in terms of bridges and overpasses. Exterior RV height determines how tall it is and does not include anything mounted on top of the RV. Most states, e.g., Georgia, advocate for a maximum height of 13.5 feet.RV height is exclusive of the air conditioner, or any other additions mounted.
What Travel Trailer has the Highest Ceiling?
Various states have varying state laws concerning travel trailers’ heights though 13.5 is generally considered the average maximum size. Travel trailers have a maximum average height of 11 feet. The interior height of a travel trailer is equal to the measurement from the floor to the ceiling.
It’s an important consideration, especially if you are tall, you want to ensure you can stand comfortably in the trailer without strain. Regardless of class, the average interior height of the trailer should be 6.5 feet. Higher ceilings are available if need be. The travel trailer with the highest roof is the Sandpiper Destination Trailer, which has an interior headroom as much as that of a traditional home. The internal height is a whopping 7’10” tall!
> You may also like:How To Prepare Your Truck for Towing: 9 Important Tips<<