5 Best Trailer Hitch Locks on The Market.
Your trailer is very valuable to you both financially and emotionally. Therefore, it needs to be protected from any harm. Be it, thieves that want to steal it or accidental detachment, a good hitch lock will help keep the trailer safe. Here we look at the best options.
This lock’s u-bar is made of pure steel which means it is very sturdy and will be serving you for a long time. It is not easily broken by heavy metal and will not be easily corroded regardless of the weather conditions. The yellow color is really lovely and screams safe’ which will give you peace of mind.
This trailer hitch lock is compatible with different types of trailers and RVs. The installation process is very simple. The locking mechanism it has is the 11-position ratchet which is convenient and holds tight when locked. It is not easy to force this lock open.
- Highly rugged and durable lock
- Resistant to rust and corrosion
- Adjustable locking positions
- Can never be broken by ordinary means
- Accommodates different types of connections.
- Not as heavy as other locks.
This lock not only has a unique design but great performance as well. Its working mechanism is very unique. The pin is inserted using the key after the lock has been slid into the hitch’s tongue. The bar is made of solid steel which makes it very hard to cut through.
This lock offers maximum protection to trailers left unattended but for better protection use a wheel clamp.
- A single-action key for quicker and smoother access
- Offers a reliable locking mechanism
- Compatible with many 2-inch trailer couplers
- Rugged and durable construction
- Resist heat, cold, and moisture.
- Inserting the key on the lock is somehow difficult.
This lock has a nice chrome plating finish that gives its simple design a polished look. It can fit a wide variety of trailer sizes. It offers great support to trailers of different sizes thanks to its sturdiness. It can be used both when driving and when packing your trailer.
This lock is resistant to rust and corrosion. As for breaking and cracking, it will take a thief a lot of effort and time to open this lock. It is tough and very strong and will withstand high amounts of force.
- Resistant to thief prying and picking
- Tough and rugged lock
- Immune to rust and corrosion
- Easy and smooth key access
- Fits different coupler specifications.
- It cannot fit snugly to the socket (but it is still secure).
Among the most popular hitch locks in the world is 2178 by Proven Locks and that is not without reason. It fits in different kinds of boats and trailers with 2” and 1 7/8”. It has great anti-theft capabilities. It cannot be cut through with a bolt and the strong steel construction has a black powder coating for beauty.
The lock is strong enough to protect the trailer from any damage while being gentle on the rim. It has a glove-like fit. As a plus, this coupler lock can be used to secure safety chains.
- One of the most rugged trailers locks today
- Quick and simple installation
- Provides a “glove-like” fit
- Compatible with various coupler locks
- Can secure your safety chains.
- No drawbacks except for its given expensiveness.
Strong aluminum material is used to make this lock and then a grey powder coating is used to finish it off. The lock looks good and is very sturdy. There are two keys that make using this lock very convenient.
With this lock, you will be able to keep a trailer, camper, or boat safe when not moving it around. It will give it the anti-theft protection it needs. With this on your valuable trailer, you will have peace of mind.
- Industrial-grade aluminum body for maximum protection
- Powder-coated for weather resistance
- Accommodates both rolled lip and flat couplers
- Impressive locking power
- Prevents the trailer ball from messing the connection.
- The installation process is a tad bit difficult.
Video Overview: Proven Industries Couper Lock Test, Best Trailer Lock
Related Post: 45 RV Accessory Must-Haves for Your Travel Trailer
Q1. What is the best tongue lock for a trailer?
A. The following are the best tongue locks for trailers:
- Master Lock Universal Size Trailer Locks
- Cocoweb Chrome C-Lock Heavy Duty Locking Hitch Pin
- Reese Towpower Universal Coupler Lock
- Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal ‘Solid Hardened Steel’ Trailer Lock
- Master Lock 1/2 in. and 5/8 in. Swivel Head Receiver Lock
Q2. Are trailer hitch locks effective?
A. YES, they are! They are for one easily noticeable by the would-be thieves. That means they act as a deterrence to any possible acts of burglaries. Aside from that, they are also lockable and thus bring about some added safety to your belongings. Once locked, they are too difficult to unlock owing to their sheer massive strength.
Video Overview: Various locks we have defeated @ FtKnoxLocks.com
Q3. How do you keep a trailer hitch from being stolen?
A. Simple! Just lock it firmly using a coupler and it shall be practically impenetrable. After locking it, you have to go a step further and secure it with a hitch pin that is sold alongside it. Round it all up with a safety chain to reinforce the lock and make the same impossible to be subdued.
Q4. What is the best way to lock up a trailer?
A. Follow the steps below to lock up your trailer:
- Slot the hitch in its place and secure it firmly
- Lock it firmly using a coupler clamp
- Secure this coupler clamp by use of a hitch pin that accompanies the hitch
- Overlay the lock with a safety chain for maximum and improved reinforcements
- If you so wish, you may incorporate other kinds of locks like a GPS tracking unit, trailer wheel lock, and locking lug nuts to strengthen the lock.
> You may also like: 25 Best National Parks in the USA <<
Q5. What size trailer hitch lock do I need?
A. To determine the size of the receiver lock you require:
- Measure out the dimensions of the receiver on your vehicle
- Mark out the overall width of the exterior of the receiver at that point of the hitch pin hole
- Measure the interior width of the receiver lock
- Be sure it is as wide as the overall width measurement of the hitch at its pinhole
Below are some recommendations you may take a cue from:
- If yours is a class I or II receiver, you shall require a 1-1/4 inch receiver lock
- If yours is a class III receiver or bigger, you shall require a 2-inch receiver
Q6. Do trailer tongue locks work?
A. YES, they do! For one, they act as a deterrent to any would-be thief. Each time a thief beholds them, he will straightaway assume that the trailer is locked and will hence not even think of breaking into the trailer. Then the lock may also be used to expedite the towing of the vehicle from one area to another.
> You may also like:Gas vs Diesel For Towing a Fifth Wheel?<<