5 Best RV Surge Protectors on The Market?
There are quite a few manufacturers offering surge-protection for RVs. Still, the leaders of the market are Progressive Industries, Surge Guard, and Camco.
However, there are alternative variants to consider when choosing an RV surge protector. Let’s take a look at some of the most interesting models.
Video Overview: RV SURGE PROTECTORS – Worth the Cash???
- Surge Protection: 5-Mode / 1650J / 45,000A. Ratings: 50A / 120V/240V / 12,000W. Operating Temperatures: -40C to +105C
- Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection, Miswired Pedestal Indication, Surge Failure Indicator
- Designed for Outdoor Use, Weather Resistant, All-Weather Shield Assembly, Thermally Protected
- Rugged Pull Handle, Locking Bracket, Tough Lexan Housing, Brighter 3-Color LED Indicators
- UL Certified and Canadian Approved, Lifetime Warranty (excludes All Weather Shield Assembly).
The first variant is Progressive Industries-313.1166 SSP-50XL Surge-Protector. This model operates at temperatures -40C and +105C. It is produced for outdoor use including high weather resistance properties. Among its features are open neutral as well as reverse polarity detection, miswired pedestal-indication and surge failure indicator. It also includes 3-color LED indicators.
- Identifies faulty park power plus offers 4200 Joules of surge protection
- Analyzes circuits to verify pedestal power
- Indicators illuminate to show power status
- Tests for and indicated open ground, open neutral and correct polarity
Another model to consider is Surge Guard 44270 Entry-Level Portable Surge Protector. This machine offers 4200 Joules of surge-protection and identifies faulty park power. The power status is illuminated with indicators. This model analyzes circuits to verify pedestal power. In addition, it tests for open neutral, open ground and correct polarity.
Video Overview: RV Surge Protection Is It Worth It?
- Protects your RV from dangerous high (>132 VAC) and low (<102 VAC) voltage levels
- Automatically disconnects from dangerous voltage and reconnects after power stabilizes
- Shows faults for reverse polarity, open neutral, and other power pedestal wiring issues
- Integrated surge protection: 2,450 joules power rating for 30 Amps
- Diagnostic lights for visual indication of a fault
RV Surge Protectors: Progressive Industries EMS HW50C Review & Installation
When it comes to 30-Amp surge protectors try Camco 55301. This is the choice of many travelers. This variant includes integrated surge protection, plus it has power grip handles which make it easy to use. It protects RVs from dangerous voltage levels because it automatically disconnects when necessary. The model also shows faults meant for reverse polarity, open neutral, reverse polarity and other power pedestal wiring issues.
- TRC Surge Guard With Shock Shield
- Perfect for Pop-ups and Travel Trailers
- Automatically shuts off the power when ground faults are present
- Requires manual reset after a ground fault
- Provides shock protection
- Surge Protection: 3-Mode / 1,790J / 44,000A. Ratings: 30A / 120V / 3,600W. Operating Temperatures: -40C to +105C
- Weather-Resistant/designed for Outdoor Use
- Security Locking Bracket
- Rugged Pull Handle, Tough Lexan Housing, All Weather Shield Assembly
- Lifetime Warranty (excludes All Weather Shield Assembly).
- Helps protect your electrical equipment from improperly wired electrical boxes
- Diagnostic lights for visual indication of faults before you connect your RV’s Power Cord to the electrical box
- Surge protection up to 2100 joules. Material: Vinyl
- Power grip handle makes plugging and unplugging safer and easier
Camco has an offer for you as well. It is named as Heavy-Duty Dogbone. Among its main features are power grip handles, as well as integrated surge-protection as well as fault indication. This model helps protect the electrical equipment and systems from improperly-wired electrical boxes. The level of surge protection amounts up to 2100 Joules. Owing to the power grip handle, it is easy enough to plug and unplug this device. Heavy-Duty Dogbone by Camco is weather-resistant as well. The weight of the item is 3.07 pounds.
The Bottom Line
Bear it in mind when making your purchase. It will help you buy the item which really suits your needs and works best for your individual goals. A sensible approach will also save you some money.
Related Post: RV Electrical: Everything You Need To Know!